welcome to our 22nd annual elder abuse conference information page!
Below you will find links to the presentations used during the keynote address and break-out sessions.
- Keynote Address - "Transforming the Emergency Response for Elder Abuse Victims" - Presenters: Dr. Tony Rosen and Alyssa Elman, LMSW
- Emergency Department Provider Perspectives on Elder Abuse and Development of a Novel ED-Based Multidisciplinary Intervention Team
- Identifying Elder Abuse in the Emergency Department: Toward a Multidisciplinary Team-Based Approach
- Identifying and Initiating Intervention for Elder Abuse and Neglect in the Emergency Department
- Improving Quality of Care in Hospitals for Victims of Elder Mistreatment: Development of the Vulnerable Elder Protection Team
- Risk Factors for Elder Abuse Pocket Cards
- Workshop A - "Transforming the Emergency Response for Elder Abuse Victims Part 2" - Presenters: Dr. Tony Rosen and Alyssa Elman, LMSW
- Workshop B - "Capacity & Competence" - Presenters: Sharon Brangman MD and Morgan Thurston Esq.
- Workshop C - "Thinking and Planning Ahead: Advance Preparation for Difficult Situations" - Presenters: Barry Beck, LMSW; Elet Callahan, Esq.; Kristen Campbell, LMSW; Mary Anne Corasaniti and Timothy P. Crisafulli, Esq.
- Workshop D - "Social Isolation: How We Can Make an Impact on the Medical and Psychological Outcomes of Social Isolation, Leaving Individuals Less Vulnerable to Elder Abuse" - Presenters: Officer Patricia Arnold; Mary
Anne Corasaniti; Lori Klivak, Ph.D. and Toma Tracy
- Workshop E - Medical Case Study Panel Discussion Facilitated by Jenny Ackley, MSW, Vera House
Panelists: Jordan Aiello Esq., Onondaga County District Attorney’s Office
Tom Burgess, Onondaga County Dept of Adult & Long Term Care Services – Adult Protective Services
A James Ciaccio, MD, FACEP, Upstate University Hospital GEM Care
Michael Close, Syracuse VA Medical Center
Cathy DeMarzo, Onondaga County Dept of Adult & Long Term Care Services – NY Connects
Roxanne Hall Richardson RPh, Auburn Memorial Hospital
- Workshop F - Financial Exploitation Case Study Panel Discussion Facilitated by Lori DiCaprio-Lee, Vera House
Panelists: Elaine Brown, ACMG Federal Credit Union
Melanie Carden Esq., Onondaga County District Attorney’s Office
Karen Webber CPA CFE, Webber CPA, PLLC
Scott Kapral CFE, BNY Mellon
Natalie Roane, Onondaga County Dept of Adult & Long Term Care Services – Adult Protective Services
JoAnne Spoto Decker MA, Onondaga County Dept of Adult & Long Term Care Services – Office for Aging
- Workshop G - "What Should I Do? Can Ethical Considerations Help Us Deal with Elder Abuse in the Absence of Legal Guidance?" - Presenters: Gregory Eastwood, MD and Morgan Thurston Esq.
- Workshop H - "Collaborative Approach: The Impact of Forensic Accounting on Cases of Financial Exploitation" - Presenters: Betsy Ferner, LMSW and Karen Webber CPA CFE
- Workshop I - "Elder Abuse 101: A Social Justice Issue" - Presenter: Jenny Ackley, MSW
- Workshop J - "Dynamics in Caregiving" - Presenters: Judith Huober, MA and Kristen Campbell, LMSW
- Workshop K - "Cultural Competency: Things You Need to Know When Working With the Refugee and Immigrant Community" - Presenters: Haji Adan and Dadhi Dahal
- Workshop L - "Depression Among Elder Abuse Victims: Screening and Treatment" - Presenter: Jo Anne Sirey, Ph.D.
22nd annual elder abuse conference presenter bios
Click HERE to learn about our dynamic presenters!