I am so grateful for the new beginning you have helped me see I deserve.  Thank you for giving me and so many other women the courage and strength to break free of the abuse and fly free towards a better future.

- Vera House client



Share This Page

For Victims of Domestic Violence or Abuse

What to do if you are being abused . . .

Find a safe place - Safety for yourself and your children is your first priority! Stay with family, friends or at a local shelter.

  • Call the police - Try to remain calm. Provide the police with information and evidence of injuries. Ask for a police report. If you want your partner arrested, tell the responding officer.
  • Get medical attention - Call your doctor or go to the emergency room for treatment. Make sure you tell the doctor how your injuries were sustained and have this information documented. This is necessary information if you decide to press criminal charges, go to family court or file for a divorce.
  • Get legal help - If you are being abused by your partner, it is important to know your legal rights and options. Your partner may try to frighten you into not doing anything by making statements such as: "You have no legal rights," "If you leave me, you will lose custody of the children," or "If you leave me, I'll get you for abandonment." To know what your legal rights and alternatives really are, you will need to contact a lawyer. The District Attorney's Office can provide information about a criminal proceeding. Information regarding Family Court options can be obtained from an attorney or Vera House volunteers at the courthouse. Information can be provided by a private attorney and/or by legal services.
  • Get counseling for yourself and your children - There are always professionals and people just like you who can talk with you about your situation. Don't wait until you are hit again or are seriously hurt. Help is available for you and your children.

Where to find help

SHELTER PROGRAMS (available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week):

  • Vera House - 315-468-3260
  • Vera House TTY (for Deaf Community) - 315-484-7263 (business hours only)
  • Dorothy Day House - 315-476-0617
  • Salvation Army - 315-479-1332


  • Emergencies - 911
  • Syracuse Police Department - 315-442-5111
  • Syracuse Police Domestic Violence Unit - 315-442-5332
  • Onondaga County Sheriff - 315-435-2111
  • Sheriff's Abused Persons Unit - 315-435-3092
  • New York State Police - 315-457-2600 or 315-699-2681
  • Town and Village Police - 315-425-2333

VICTIM ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (Monday-Thursday, 9am-4pm)

To initiate a criminal proceeding:
Onondaga County District Attorney's Office
505 South State Street
Syracuse, NY 13202
315-435-3916 ext 305


To file a family offense petition:
Room 101 Courthouse
Syracuse, NY 13202


  • Vera House - 315-468-3260
  • Vera House TTY - 315-484-7263 (business hours only)
  • Onondaga County Helpline - 315-435-8300
  • CONTACT Community Services - 315-251-0600
Font size: + - reset
United WayFriend Us On FacebookFollow Us On TwitterFollow Us On YouTube